Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Where do you find help for your special needs child?




I have had several people ask me where their children can get help. I am no expert, but I sure am trying to be. We live in North Carolina and this states services are horrible. I can't wait to move out of this state.

Here are some resources that may assist you in your quest for help.


Top Pediatric Hospital Rankings

These resources can point you in the right direction. However, there are many more questions you need to be asking.

Are you looking to put your child in public or private school?
Will you be able to receive affordable childcare in the area?
Check out parent support sites in the area you are looking at, and don't be scared to ask questions.
What do you want for your child?
How are the therapy centers?
What are you looking for in a pediatrician?
Are there any large hospitals in the area?
Are they training hospitals?
Are the doctors familar with your childs disability?
Are there jobs in the area?
Is the area affordable to live?
Are there special needs activities in the area? (baseball, special equipped parks, sn swimming classes, hippotherapy,etc.)
Do you know anyone in the area?
Do you need a support system?
This is a life change make sure it is right for the entire family.


When you are looking to make such a huge move you need to make sure everything you need is there. We have moved several times and I still haven't found all of the help that I am looking for.

The school system here is an absolute joke, and there are even times I am sick about sending him.
There have been a few incidents that scare me, but that is another post.

Although, there is no way to completely know what you are getting yourself into. There are ways to protect yourself. We made this last move in haste. I did check the area, but the funding for special needs services literally fell apart weeks before we moved. When I checked the area most services were here, and as I was organizing the move that security completely disappeared. Since I can't work, because there are no affordable childcare facsilities we have been stuck in this horrible county. It is a beautiful state, but we can't enjoy it, because it is not designed for children like Josh.

Now before you tell me that you live in North Carolina and your child receives what they need remember our children and families have different needs. Make sure the area has what is best for your family.

Please feel free to comment and ask questions. If I haven't addressed something in this article I will be willing to try and find you an answer.

Have a Blessed Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment