Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Psalm 23 Verses 4 - 6


4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
I have been told that David wrote this Psalm while running from Saul. Everything was not good in his life, but instead of giving up he leaned on God. He was saying to God; Even though I going through a bad place I know you are with me.  God, I know you are watching over me and protecting me.  I have no need for fear.  You take that burden from me and I am at peace.


5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.

God provides. David has his needs met even though he was on the run from his enemies. To anoint oil over your head was to be clean.  To smell fresh. David saw his cup as full.  God provided his needs for survival.  I am not sure why, but this verse has played over and over in my head since I was in middle school.  I have always been drawn to it.  Maybe it is God's way of telling me He has my back.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell[a] in the house of the Lord
Forever.
 
God is Good!   He will always see us through.  David is proclaiming God's greatness and that through God's goodness and mercy David is able to live in God's glory forever.
 
Keep in my as you read my interpretation that is all that it is my interpretation.  I still have a lot to learn when understanding the Bible.  I could be very wrong with my descriptions. If you see it differently or the same I would love to hear your thoughts.


2 comments:

  1. one of my favorite verses

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a well known scripture, but when you sit back and study the scripture it takes on new meaning. Don't you think?

    ReplyDelete