Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tuesday's Question ...... I dare you to respond!

Are you a leader, a follower, or an observer?

I would have to say I am a little bit of all three.  I think we have to be to truly learn.  However, I think most of my life I have been an observer.
I have never been completely comfortable in my own skin.  I have always been searching for other peoples acceptance.  I never wanted to disappoint anyone, so I adopted the idea if I don't try I can't fail.  If I tried and I wasn't sure of the outcome I would quit.  My fear of what other people thought of me controlled me for years.  At 35 I am trying to break that cycle for myself.  That is one of the reasons I have started this blog.  I want to find myself, my true self.  I am also hoping that while on this journey I can help others find themselves, also.
I've always been outspoken. I can defend myself.  I would never follow someone when I didn't agree with what they were doing. My problem was I was scared to ask questions.  I didn't want to offend someone or look stupid.  I think  many people that know me would say that I am a leader.  What they didn't see was my embarrassment.  They didn't see how inadequate I felt.  They didn't know that I would laugh at their innocent jokes(about me), but would cry inside because that is how I really felt about myself, and by them making jokes in my mind it confirmed that they felt that way about me too.  I think it is because I am outspoken that some feel that I am a leader.  I have many ideas, but no follow through.  If I fail I will prove that I really don't have anything together. Since having my son I have had parents come to me and tell me what an inspiration I am to them.  I always have a smile on my face.  They tell me they wish they were so positive.  These comments make me laugh, because I feel completely lost. I feel like I fail as a parent everyday. Not in the way you might be thinking.  My son is well taken care of and very much loved.  I feel like I don't do enough for him.  I feel like I don't know the system well enough to get more services, a better education, and so on. Now, I don't want to make this a pity me post. I recognize that you have to point out your problem areas to be able to overcome them.  And for me and my son I will overcome them.
Now back to the main question.  Are you a leader, a follower, or an observer?
I don't believe one of these positions is better than the others.  I feel that you have to be content with yourself.  It is only when you are not happy with yourself that you need to make a change.  Be proud of which ever posistion you are and own it.  Now can you be so honest?

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I believe many people feel the same way. Very rarely do you meet someone that is as strong on the inside as they display on the outside. It takes alot of courage to be so revealing. Thanks for sharing. I wish more people had such courtage.

    ReplyDelete