Thursday, April 26, 2012

Don't Mess With My Kid!!!


There are very few things in this world that can bring my claws out, but if you mess with my boy I will bring you down.
As a Mom of a nonverbal child one of my fears is that Josh will be mistreated when I am not around and I will never know. He can't tell me, so what is to stop someone from being cruel to him?

When Josh was four years old I dropped him off at school and when I got to the parking lot I realized that he didn't have his gloves.  It was cold out and they were having fall fest I knew he would be outside.  His gloves were in my coat pocket so I turned around, as I reached the bathroom I saw his wheelchair sitting outside (the bathroom was too small for his chair). When I got closer I could hear his aide yelling at him and I could hear Josh crying. I ran the rest of the length of the hall and flung the door open.  His aide was shocked and stumbled for words. She was standing over Josh changing his diaper.  I looked at her and said "you need to walk away from him.  I have it from here." She told me Josh kicked her in her private spot. There were so many things wrong with that statement.
1. Josh has never been malicious to anyone, ever!
 2. Josh does not stand on his own, let alone is he able to kick his leg high enough to reach that spot. 3. He was on a changing table that was above her navel and his pants were around his ankles.
I never found out the true reason that she was screaming at him.  I did however make sure she would not ever work with him again. The school told me it was my word against hers and no disciplinary action occurred. The school essentially called me: the parent a liar and her: the assistant a victim. Pat her on the back " Oh it's okay there's always one parent in the pack. hahaha" The only victim was Josh. They wouldn't even remove her from the room they only removed her from Josh.  I told them if I ever found out she was near him I would take legal action. I literally threw up every morning for the rest of the year knowing that he would have to see her face and hear her voice.  It was repulsive.  I did trust his teacher that she would keep that woman away from him. That was in the beginning.  I am a seasoned pro now and I will make sure you are terminated or removed from the school if there is ever a next time.

Yesterday I came across a video from a dad with a son with autism.

This video broke my heart.  I know it happens all of the time.  Our society has sent a message that it is okay to be verbally abusive to children with special needs.  Time and time again I hear the stories or I see it with my own eyes.  It shakes me to my core.  How is this okay?

I won't let Joshua ride the school bus because every year I read about and hear stories about children with special needs being abused on the bus.
I have an acquaintance that opened her own school because of conditions she saw at a public school her daughter was to attend.  She witnessed teachers tying a child to a chair feet and all.
I have witnessed children being confined in a corner and not being allowed to participate with the class. One school Josh went to had a padded room with a window.  I knew some of the children I would see in that room.  Children that were curled in a ball on the floor crying and begging to be let out.  I know this sounds exaggerated but it isn't.

Do your own research.  When I was watching the above video on you tube I found other videos that were similar to it.  I know I have found Josh strapped in his chair in a corner while the rest of the class is engaged in something else.
I realize that a teacher is not Mom or Dad.  I understand they are going to do things differently than I would, but you still have to treat my child with respect and dignity.  He is a person with feelings. Children with special needs can't fight for themselves.  Non verbal children can't tell someone what is happening. 
I had one of Josh's (past) teachers tell a friend of mine.  I wish my child had special needs because you really don't have to do anything.  If this is your attitude quit your job right now. 

I love being a part of this "special needs world."  Thank God I do because I didn't have a choice.  If you have a choice and don't love being a part of this "special world" please go somewhere else.  You are not helping these kids.  You are only hurting them.  You are never going to get rich off of them.  I know there is a career out there that you are more suited for. Please leave my child and other children with special needs alone.
This topic is unreal to me.  We shouldn't have discuss defenseless children in the United States that are being abused by the very people we trust to educate them.  There should be no union protection for someone that mistreats a child.  Parents of all children need to realize this is happening and say NO MORE.  We will not accept this.



No comments:

Post a Comment