Thursday, April 12, 2012

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun


In keeping with the theme of anxiety and I just got to me I wanted to post more about... ME! Trust me I am not conceited, but I am working on it. For so many years I have not been happy with myself. I haven't been smart enough or pretty enough.  I thought I was boring.  I felt like I had nothing to offer anybody.

Many people feel like this. Depression and anxiety affect around 14 million people each year.  I am not alone.  We are raised in a society that pushes for more.  Good is never good enough.  I am here to say you are good enough. Don't let other's insecurities affect how you see yourself.  Sometimes we have to go back to a time when we were carefree and just be silly and forget about our stresses.


I feel my best when I am being myself.  I am goofy.  I love to be loud and obnoxious.  I love to sing and dance like a wild woman. Society tells me as a 37 year old mom  I need to be mature and serious.  I am responsible.  My son is very well cared for.  I make sure he has food, shelter, love.  I make sure he is taught to be kind and to respect others. I make sure he gets to all of his appointments. I work with him everyday with walking, standing, climbing, communicating,self feeding. (For those of you that are new here; my son has special needs). Why do I have to be serious?  Why do I have to be the type of parent my Mom was, my neighbor is, or like the woman I saw at Target? If you are not putting your child in jeopardy you will never hear me judge your parenting skills.

 Why do I let other people tell me how I'm supposed to act?  I'm not hurting anybody.  Actually, I strike up friendly conversations with strangers in the grocery line.  I am a very kind, loving, and helpful person, but I have friends and family members tell me that is a ridiculous way to be. I dance through my house and have been asked to stop.  I will not change for anyone anymore.  I will try with all of my might to be true to myself.
Keep in mind I am serious when I have to be. I don't dance and sing all over town, but we all have the right to let loose.  If you aren't hurting anybody do whatever it is that makes you happy.

I have someone in my life that constantly puts me down.  I started to believe this person.  I am taking my control back.  I will not allow someone else to dictate my self worth any longer. I hope you learn to let your hair. Learn to be yourself.  Learn to love yourself.



Today's lesson:  Be true to yourself.
Tonight's homework: Run around your house singing "Girls Just Want To Have Fun,' at the top of your lungs.
Men you can sing "Boys Don't Cry."

2 comments:

  1. Best post yet! Dont change yourself for anyone...i like the loud, funny, obnoxious Michelle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm learning to like me too. It is a process to get back to me.

    ReplyDelete