Saturday, September 18, 2010

Saturday's Question...

What would you do to better your life?

This is a difficult one.  I am on this path right now.  As I stated  before I am a single mom.  This is new to me. I am starting over.  I need to learn how to take care of myself and my son.(financially that is)  I also need to be happy doing it.  If I am not happy Josh won't be either.  He deserves a happy mom.  He deserves me at my best. 

I had been in serious relationships since I was 14 years old.  When I was 24 I found myself alone.  I realized during this time that I didn't know who I was.  I wasn't even sure what kind of music I liked.  I had allowed these relationships to take over my life.  I decided I wanted to know myself.  I wanted to know who I was as a singular person and not as a couple.  In October 1998 I decided to swear of men. I wouldn't even casually date.  This lasted for 2 years.
It was one of the best times of my life.  I was introduced to myself for the first time.  I learned what kind of music I liked.  I also got to figure out what I wanted to do for me.  I had a good job.  I started back to school.  I enjoyed hanging out with my friends. I loved my life.  Most importantly I loved myself.
When the time came I met someone new, and we had a nice relationship for several months.  I was strong and I didn't need him to define me, so when things felt wrong to me I was okay with being on my own again.  This was a huge step for me.  Before I would hold on to relationships that weren't working, because I was scared to be alone.  I discovered a new strength I never knew I had.
Now, back to the present.  I have to redefine myself with my child.  It isn't as easy as I thought it would be.  Josh has doctor and therapy appointments almost weekly.  I can't find a daycare that will take him after school.  To be honest even if I could I'm not sure if I would send him anyway.  I don't have anything against after school care, but my son is nonverbal.  He can't tell me if something has happened.  I have walked in on a few situations that disturbed me in  the past.  Needless to say, it is hard for me to trust completely when it comes to my son.  I do know the path I want to be on.  I just need to figure out how to do it and where. 
So how would you or have you bettered your life?

 


3 comments:

  1. would say I have done two major things to better my life:
    1. Completed my education. When I finished my doctorate in '08, my education just felt complete. Not to say I'll never go back to school again... I think it is so important to continue to learn new things :-)
    2. Learned to be very outgoing. In high school, I was somewhat shy. I would never approach new people or talk to guys. I guess it was probably in college that I learned to be more outgoing. I think this has gotten me far because I enjoy the energy new people bring to my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to imagine you ever shy Carrie. You are so outgoing. You are one of the people I look at for inspiration. The things you do not only benefit your family, but so many others. You should be proud of youself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everytime I felt that I was straying off course,I would dig way down deep in my heart and try to decide the steps I needed to take and stay strong enough to get started. Even If I did not accomplish all of the items I felt I needed to do - I was at least a little closer to my goal. Then you have to back off and try again.

    ReplyDelete